Program Specialist-Community & Contract Education
Closing Date/Time: 11/30/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Contract and Community Educ
This full-time, Program Specialist position provides a variety of administrative and program support services for Community and Contract Education students and clientele; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Program Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 12,000 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American, 1% Filipino, .25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and .19% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2017. At Cabrillo, over 52% of students are students of color and 59% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
Examples of Duties
• Provides administrative and program support services for Community and Contract Education
• Provides information and assistance to students, potential students, clients and the public regarding program requirements and services
• Assists students with various College and outside agency procedures such as registration and completion of forms and documents
• Provides students with specific program resources, such as interpreters
• Provides support to an off-site College facility and staff
• Provides information to the public, students and College staff that requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules and procedures
• Coordinates services with and refers students to other College staff and programs and to community support agencies, appropriate state and local regulatory or licensing agencies and other public groups
• Monitors budget allocations and expenditures, maintains financial and statistical records and prepares financial reports
• Assists in developing program budgets, objectives and procedures within College guidelines
• Monitors activity compliance with College policies and federal and state regulations
• Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of various files
• Maintains records and identifies and resolves discrepancies
• Operates standard office equipment
• Enters and retrieves data and prepares periodic and special reports, correspondence and other written materials using a personal computer system and various software such as, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, databases and website management
• Recruits, interviews and recommends selection of student assistants and other part-time support staff
• Assigns and directs work and instructs such assistants in work procedures
• Handles and balances program monies
• Coordinates class schedule information and facility use for Community and Contract Education
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of general clerical support or secretarial office assistant experience. College, technical or business school coursework in the program area of assignment is desirable and such education may be substituted for the experience on a year for year basis to a MAXIMUM of two (2) years.
• Basic functions and programs of a community college or similar educational setting
• Program administration principles, including work organization and budget administration
• Operation of computer equipment and various software applications
• Applicable federal, state and College laws, rules and regulations
• Governmental, community and social service organizations and their functions
• The needs and sensitivities of special and disadvantaged student populations
• Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of office equipment
• Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
• Applying and explaining relevant laws, regulations, policies and procedures
• Analyzing problems, evaluating alternatives and making sound recommendations
• Coordinating multiple projects and meeting critical deadlines
• Exercising sound judgment within established guidelines
• Preparing clear, concise and complete records and other written materials
• Maintaining accurate records and files
• Maintaining confidentiality of information
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
• Operating a keyboard with sufficient skill to enter data into a computer and producing correspondence, reports and other written materials using various software such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and website management
• Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and a safe driving record during the course of employment
Current Salary: *Current Salary: *$2,930 to $3,231 per month to start; seven step schedule to $3,927 per month. Full-time, 100% assignment (40 hours per week), 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
* Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
• Completed online Cabrillo College Application
• Job-related resume
APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT:
• Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college-level coursework in business, Computer Applications/Business Technology or related to area of assignment
** If any of the above materials are not submitted with your application packet, your materials will be deemed incomplete and will not be forwarded to the committee for screening.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Friday, November 30, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1333424
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.