Posted: February 20, 2019
Open Until Filled
POSITION: ADVOCATE I (LIMITED TERM)
(BILINGUAL ENGLISH/SPANISH PREFERRED)
PROGRAM: NUEVA VISTA COMMUNITY RESOURCES
A PROGRAM OF COMMUNITY BRIDGES
Community Bridges envisions a thriving community where every person has the opportunity to unleash their full potential. Our family of ten programs delivers essential services, provides equitable access to resources, and advocates for health and dignity across every stage of life
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision by the Program Manager, the limited term Advocate I provides a combination of direct human services and referrals to community members in need. The incumbent collaborates with program staff, collects data, and performs other duties as required to provide clients with access to resources that offer stability and hope for the future.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In rotation with other staff, greets clients over the phone and in person, assesses their needs, and provides them with information and/or referral to any relevant services; maintains a database of current community resources and services.
- Helps clients obtain, complete, and submit applications and forms for a variety of services, including housing, health insurance, education, employment, and others.
- Provides immediate, short-term assistance to clients in crisis.
- Provides basic life skills education.
- Follows up on referrals and applications as necessary.
- Collects, organizes, and records data about clients and services; enters data into a centralized system, and complies with the reporting requirements of all funders.
- In collaboration with other staff, sets up and assists with the Center’s food distribution.
- Completes all training requirements, including maintaining any accreditation, as required by Community Bridges and its funders; engages in ongoing training and development to ensure effective programming.
- Attends all required staff meetings.
- Assists with all aspects of community events hosted by the Center.
- Performs outreach to raise program visibility in the community—represents the program at events, distributes informational material, and maintains contact with other relevant organizations and government bodies.
- Assists in the training of new staff, interns, and volunteers through job shadowing.
- May transport clients as needed.
- May be required to work at other Family Resource Collective sites as needed.
- Serves as a State Mandated Reporter for vulnerable populations.
- Communicates and works effectively and respectfully with people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups and from different backgrounds and lifestyles; demonstrates a knowledge of and sensitivity to their needs. Will work with specialized populations that may include the homeless, foster families, youth on probation, and others.
- Develops and maintains positive community relationships with clients, coworkers, supervisors, partners, stakeholders, and the public.
- In accordance with the Community Bridges Customer Service Plan, provides excellent customer service to clients, colleagues, and the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job descriptions are intended to be illustrative only; they are not designed to be restrictive or to define each and every assigned duty and responsibility. In an organization of this nature, each employee is expected to perform such duties as necessary to fulfill the stated goals of the agency
- standard office practices and procedures, including filing, record keeping and gathering of detailed information;
- social service programs and other community resources, as well as their eligibility and enrollment requirements;
- the particular challenges facing at-risk populations and best practices for helping them overcome those challenges; and
- effective outreach and marketing principles and practices.
- manage competing priorities;
- maintain organized, accurate information and records;
- communicate effectively with diverse populations;
- work independently and with a team;
- use a computer, including word processing, email, and data management programs, as well as other ancillary office equipment;
- recognize confidential information and maintain it appropriately; and
- identify strengths and underlying needs in individuals, families, and communities.
- AA/AS degree in Psychology, Sociology, Community Studies or a related field preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in the human service or a related field preferred.
- Must be able to work at a computer for full workdays; some routine lifting and reaching required.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Must have a valid CA Driver’s License, have access to drive a motor vehicle incidental to the performance of the work, and be insured.
- Must pass a criminal background check and maintain a clean record.
- Advocates who transport clients must pass a pre-employment drug screen and comply with periodic testing for drug use and alcohol misuse.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
We screen all applicants, require background checks on final candidates consistent with funding regulation requirements and are a Drug-Free Work Place.
The limited term Advocate I position is represented by the SEIU bargaining unit.
RATE OF PAY AND HOURS:
- This is a limited-term, non-exempt, 32 hour/week position.
- The agency rate of pay range for this position is $14.44-$19.72 hour. The position will be offered at $14.89-$15.83/hour, depending on experience (plus a .40 per hour bilingual differential after passing a test administered by the HR department).
- Hours are most commonly Monday-Friday, between 9AM-5PM, however, occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
- Regular on-site attendance is required.
- Paid holidays and sick leave, pro-rated.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Paid lunch if applicable.
- Please submit your Community Bridges application by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (831-688-8302), or in person. If you have any questions, please call 831-688-8840, Ext. 200.
- Resumes can be submitted but will not be accepted in lieu of an employment application.
- The application may be downloaded at: http://communitybridges.org/employment/
- If applicable, please submit any college transcripts, licenses, and/or certificates as an attachment to your application.
COMMUNITY BRIDGES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of age, ancestry, color, religious creed, denial of Family and Medical Care Leave, disability (mental and physical), marital, familial or parental status, medical condition, genetic information, military and Veteran status, national origin (including language use restrictions), race, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, and gender expression, political affiliation or sexual orientation.