San Lorenzo Valley Water District is looking for applicants for the position of Water Treatment and System Operator. Please read the details of the position and how to apply below:
NUMBER of POSITIONS TO FILL: One (1)
CLOSING DATE: August 30, 2019
SALARY: $5,634 - $7,551 per month depending on qualifications
Under the general supervision of the Water Treatment and System Supervisor, the Water Treatment and System Operator performs a variety of skilled tasks in the operation and maintenance of water and wastewater systems; and performs other related duties as required.
This is a single position class. The incumbent assists in the monitoring, operation and maintenance of water and wastewater treatment plants; water production, distribution and storage facilities, wastewater collection system and wastewater pump stations. This class is distinguished from Water Treatment and System Supervisor in that the latter class is a supervisory class and has greater responsibility for operations, and exercises greater independence of action and judgment. This class is distinguished from the Field Services series in that incumbents of that series may perform limited monitoring and operation of facilities in a relief or on call capacity, but lack the broader responsibility for monitor and adjusting the system. Incumbent is subject to being assigned after hour, standby duty assignment, and other irregular hours.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspects stream intakes, water production, treatment and storage facilities, and wastewater collection, transmission and treatment facilities.
- Operates, maintains and repairs equipment used in the operation of the water and wastewater treatment systems, including wells, pumps, valves, reservoirs and treatment plants; monitors computer control system, responds to monitors and alarms and determines and takes appropriate action; monitors chlorination process and regulated dosage; monitors and adjusts treatment process and distribution system based on readings from meters, gauges, level indicators and recording charts.
- Monitors and operates pumping facilities, valves and storage reservoirs to regulate water flow and storage utilizing SCADA computer control system.
- Collects water and wastewater samples at various locations, performs routine laboratory analysis and records and reports results; coordinates delivery and shipment of samples sent for outside analysis.
- Performs maintenance on equipment, facilities and grounds.
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding water quality, including color, taste, odor, pressure and lack of water.
- Calculates production, storage, treatment and quality values, maintains records and prepares reports on production, storage, treatment and maintenance.
- May be assigned to assist Field Services staff in the repair and maintenance of water distribution system; may respond to system alarms during standby duty assignment, evenings and weekends.
- When assigned to standby duty assignment may respond to customer service calls, SCADA computer alarms, and monitor and operate water and wastewater systems.
- May be assigned to serve as designated Water Treatment Facility Shift Operator.
KNOWLEDGE OF and PERFORMANCE:
- Principles and practices of water treatment and distribution;
- Principles and practices of wastewater collection, treatment and disposal;
- Methods and techniques of water and wastewater sampling and testing;
- Safe working practices necessary in working with hazardous materials and chemicals, and confined spaces;
- Principles and practices of electronics and electrical systems used in water and wastewater treatment equipment and hydraulics;
- Methods and techniques in the maintenance and repair of pumps, valves, pipes, bearings, controls and related equipment;
- Applicable local, federal and state regulations affecting water and wastewater treatment, water quality, water distribution and testing;
- Principles of cross connection control.
- Read, interpret and apply technical material, laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, blueprints, diagrams and written correspondence;
- Conduct water and wastewater sampling and testing;
- Monitor, operate and maintain water and wastewater treatment facilities, water production and distribution systems and wastewater collection and disposal systems;
- Provide clear verbal communications and prepare technical reports and memoranda in a well-constructed and concise manner;
- Repair, install and maintain water mains, services valves;
- Perform mathematical computations including basic statistics and analytical formulas;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with employees, supervisors, regulatory agencies and the public;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Perform call back work as assigned;
- Work independently.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES
Any combination of training and experience, which demonstrates attainment of the required knowledge and ability to perform the required work (with reasonable accommodation, if needed), typically:
EDUCATION: High school graduation or equivalent is desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years as a Field Services Worker II - OR - One (1) year in the operation and maintenance of water and wastewater treatment facilities, including or supplemented by fieldwork in water distribution.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS
- A valid California Class C driver’s license must be maintained at all times.
- Possession of and continued maintenance of a State of California Department of Health Services Water Treatment Certificate Grade T2 and Water Distribution Certificate D1.
- Possession and continued maintenance of a Grade I Waste Water Treatment Operator, certification from the State Water Resources Control Board is highly desirable.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
- Sufficient eyesight to read fine plans and standard text and data;
- Ability to speak and hear at normal conversational levels in person and over the telephone;
- Manual dexterity to write legibly and to use construction tools;
- Ability to lift and carry up to forty pounds of equipment and/or materials on a regular basis and one hundred pounds on an occasional basis;
- Ability to perform sustained heavy physical labor involving frequent bending, lifting, pushing pulling and turning;
- Ability to routinely walk on uneven and slippery surfaces;
- Exposure to outdoors, including inclement weather and high noise levels;
- Ability to travel to different sites and locations;
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, or crouch to perform work.
This District provides a competitive benefit package, including but not limited to comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, CalPERS Pension, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, and more.
Please submit a completed package consisting of the following:
- District Employment Application (see below)
- Letter of Interest
- Supplemental Questions (see below)
You can find the complete package of documents at the following link:
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to the following address:
San Lorenzo Valley Water District
13060 Highway 9
Boulder Creek, CA 95006
CLOSING DATE: August 30, 2019
Supplemental Questions: Water Treatment and System Operator
Supplemental Questions are REQUIRED and MUST be submitted with your application in order to be considered for this position. Responses to the questions serve as documentation of each candidates’ ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing. Responses must be typed and cannot exceed two (2) single sided electronic 8.5 X 11 inch pages.
- Describe your experience in the operation of a surface water treatment plant and/or groundwater treatment facilities. Explain your specific duties.
- Explain your experience in the collection of bacteriological and chemical samples. Provide examples.
- Describe safety precautions and procedures you take while working with hazardous chemicals. Include examples.
- Tell us about your familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel and Word).