Community Foundation for Monterey County
2354 Garden Road
The Senior Accountant position reports directly to the Vice President of Finance and HR and will primarily be responsible for the knowledge of and the accuracy of all general ledger entries, including those from modules outside the general ledger; preparing, recording and administering payroll; and assisting with other financial reporting processes. Based on the duties described below, this is a full-time, exempt position.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Principal activities include providing a variety of record-keeping services including but not limited to payroll, bank and investment accounts, and general ledger.
- Additional activities may include providing back-up administrative support as needed.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including bank and investment accounts, fixed assets, various revenue accounts, and all balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare and post journal entries for month end close.
- Assist with preparation of monthly financial statements and supplemental reports.
- Prepare monthly entries and maintain the accounting records for the Foundation’s LLC.
- Prepare monthly entries and maintain the accounting records for the trusts held by the Foundation.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual operating budget.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual spending policy payout calculations.
- Work with the Vice President of Finance and HR and outside auditors to complete the annual audit and tax return preparation.
- Complete other projects as assigned by the Vice President of Finance and HR, and the President/CEO.
- Serve as main contact for payroll-related assistance and information to staff and payroll services.
- Process and track payroll, time sheets, hours worked, taxes, benefits, etc. to a computerized ADP system.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll journal entries.
- Review and electronically transmit approved payroll transactions, including 403(b), 457(b), FSA and HSA contributions.
- Initiate and assist in preparing and entering journal entries to record transactions.
- Prepare summaries, reports and recommendations where necessary.
- Prepare reconciliations of general ledger accounts.
- Participate in conducting the timely month-end closing.
- Research, collect, compile, and analyze information from various sources on a variety of specialized accounting topics.
- Prepare and distribute various ad-hoc accounting-related reports, in a timely fashion.
- Serve as back up support for the Vice President of Finance and HR, Accounting Manager, Administrative Services Manager or Administrative Coordinator.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new or revised accounting programs, systems, procedures, and methods of operation.
- Assists and supports the Vice President of Finance and HR in preparation of internal or external audits.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Finance and HR.
This position description is intended to be general and will evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a related field.
- 2-3 years general ledger accounting experience.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations related to payroll and accounts payable.
- Knowledge of GAAP and FASB requirements as they apply to nonprofit agencies required.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting procedures.
- Fund accounting experience with an understanding of not-for-profit net asset accounting, including accounting for donor restrictions.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Word.
- Attention to detail with accurate data entry skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Must have excellent work habits including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when deadlines cause greater than normal workloads.
- Must be highly organized and capable of managing multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to communicate, collaborate and interact effectively with coworkers, supervisors and department heads; a strong team-player.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidence.
- Experience with ADP, grant-making, NPOs, investments, wire transfers and working with integrated databases desirable.
- Experience with QuickBooks.
- Must have a “hands on” approach to all tasks required to be completed.
- Must be flexible to adapt quickly to a growing organization.
- Position requires minimal lifting (up to 25 lbs.), mostly deskwork.
- Strength and flexibility to work at a desk for up to five hours and access items on shelves and files located 0 to 60 inches above the floor.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.