At Esalen, we care about being present. We bring that to everything we do. We don’t just build a table, we build a work of art that’s also a table. We don’t just say hello, we make eye contact and listen with intention. We feel the same way about our team members - showing up in support of their full being. We offer great health care, access to workshops, and the space to further our mission by contributing to your own human potential.
- The Development Associate will serve as a primary face of Esalen’s philanthropic efforts on property. He/she will be responsible for assisting current donors for requests related to property visits and liaison with other departments, including Guest Services, for concierge services. As part of development outreach, he/she will partner with potential fundraising volunteers across Esalen departments to assist with engagement of prospective and current donors, providing general assistance with providing biographies, key messages, and other support as needed. He/she will also participate in identifying potential or current donors to recognize and support based on “Prospects on Property” reports generated by the Gift and Data Processor.
- Under the direction and guidance of the Director of Development, this position also will be responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of up to 75 small-to-mid-size donors ranging from $1,000 to up to $25,000. Some major donor relationships above $25,000 may be assigned as appropriate. The focus for this position will be on on-property visits with prospective and current donors in this giving range. Other duties will require database management involving activities such as providing contact reports, managing donor lists, and assisting Marketing and Communications with donor segmentation.
- This position will be the primary focal point for the “Friends Of Esalen” (FOE) campaign and will lead and oversee all aspects of FOE and will lead the “Esalen Ambassadors” program.
- He/she will be asked to serve as the project lead for the Development department for on-property donor events, He/she will support the Director of Development in envisioning and implementing Esalen’s Benefit Weekend.
- The position plays a key role in fostering positive relationships with donors, volunteers, vendors, as well a high level of interface with all levels of the organization. As such, interpersonal skills and good judgment are key.
What will this role do?
- Manage and oversee the success of on-property donor concierge service, including ATTR and personal retreat requests and FOE
- Build and cultivate relationships and maximize engagement of small-to mid-size donors and donor prospects under the guidance of the Director of Development through on-site visits, phone and email communications, and more.
- Mentor and lead potential campus partners who wish to serve as fundraising volunteers and be the point of contact for development resources
- Manage database queries for lists and complex finds, individual prospect or current donor research, acknowledgment letter updates, and other requests
- Under direction of Director of Development, manage and oversee Prospects on Property program to support pipeline of identification of new or existing donors and developing exceptional property experience to move them through cultivation to solicitation
- Serve as the project lead for on-property donor events, responsible for scoping the event and ensuring it aligns with overall development goals and objectives
- Vet and manage requests for donation of Esalen workshops/day passes from non profit organizations
- Assist Director of Marketing and Communications with drafting/editing donor communications
- Maintain proficiency in iDonate software to support Marketing and Communications with general appeal landing pages, event registrations, and more
- Maintain proficiency with iContact ESP to support Marketing and Communications in mass donor emails including uploading and sending emails
- Support and back-up for gift processing and acknowledgement letters
- Partner with Marketing and Communications to identify donors for possible testimonials
- Serve as primary contact for Marketing and Communications to support donor lists needs
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills
- At least 3-7 years of experience in identifying, cultivating and soliciting donors and prospective donors
- Strong analytic ability and organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and timelines
- Ability to work with different individuals and work styles
- At least 2-5 years’ experience in conceptualizing, designing and implementing events
- Familiarity with database management, accurate data entry, production of reports and lists
- Flexibility and sense of humor
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, sit for long periods of time, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds, and be able perform daily repetitive hand motions as it pertains to computer mouse and keyboard.
- The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Esalen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
USE THE LINK BELOW TO APPLY: