Please go to the City of Capitola's website at www.cityofcapitola.org for the recruitment notice and employment application.
Under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, the Capitola Junior Lifeguard Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard is responsible for supervision and planning of daily activities and operation of the Junior Lifeguard Staff and program, and coordination with contract tower lifeguard staff.
The Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard duties may include:
• May assist in hiring Junior Lifeguard Instructor/Beach Lifeguard Staff;
• In collaboration with Central Fire Protection District, assists with training for Junior Lifeguard Instructor/Beach Lifeguard Staff
• Conducts annual inventory of program equipment and supplies to ensure USLA Minimum Equipment Standards are met. Orders necessary equipment within program budget.
• Supervision of JG Staff and Assistant Coordinator, works with Recreation Coordinator for overall program and competition planning, works closely with participant families answering questions and handling issues as they arise; completing all required paperwork.
• Communicates with Tower Lifeguards regarding any safety hazards and ocean conditions and is proactive in preventing rescue situations.
• Works closely with other allied public safety agencies and the Junior Guard Parents Club maintaining clear communication and professionalism representative of The City of Capitola and Recreation.
• Promotes workplace employee safety by adhering to established safety protocols and polices.
• Identifies and corrects problems whenever possible and informs supervisor if unable to remedy.
The JG Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard will work closely with the Central Fire Protection District, Recreation Department administration, Santa Cruz Marine Safety Division, and all allied public safety agencies. The JG Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard must interact in a professional and courteous manner with the public and other emergency service employees.
• USLA Open Water Lifeguard Certificate or written verification from last USLA employer.
• 18 years of age
• Must provide a copy of valid CPR Certification (Pro or healthcare provider).
• Work experience of cumulative total of 1,000 hours of in no fewer than two seasons as an open water lifeguard at a lifeguard agency which meets the standards of the USLA is highly desirable.
• EMT certification is highly desirable.
• Physical ability and stamina to perform the duties of an open water lifeguard
• The ability to meet and maintain a 500m ocean swim time of under 10 minutes
• Vision 20-30 corrected.
• Training or experience in supervising staff to work with children
• Criminal history and fingerprint check.
• Applicants must have at least two seasons as an instructor in a Junior Lifeguard program.
• Successful completion of required lifeguard training program after initial hiring process is completed. Successful completion and maintenance of required medical training certificates.
• Meet or exceed the minimum requirements for a USLA open water lifeguard.
• Proof of negative tuberculosis test or clear chest X-ray must be presented within 14 days of hire - No exceptions.
• Ability to effectively supervise the activities of the Junior Lifeguard Instructor/Beach Lifeguard Staff.
• Ability to effectively coach and evaluate the performances of subordinate personnel.
• Willingness to maintain discipline, confront problems and take appropriate action with staff or participants.
• Ability to pursue an effective and prudent course of action in emergency situation.
• Willingness to work weekends and varying irregular shifts.
• Swim in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
• Interact in a professional and courteous manner with the public, JG Parents and other emergency service employees.
• First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) Certification.
• A safe driving record as determined by the City’s Personnel Department
• Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor or other aquatics training
• Experience in supervising staff and providing feedback
The JG Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard is a Part-Time/Seasonal position from March-September, not to exceed 960 hours in a calendar year. Candidates for JG Coordinator/City Lifeguard must be available for full-time employment (40 hours per week) from May through August.
Applicants are required to submit a City application in addition to resume and any relevant documents. Applicants with corrective lens restrictions must provide a physician’s note, dated within 30 days, to verify current vision. Those candidates who most closely meet the requirements of the position will be invited for a swim test and oral interview. Successful candidates must attend mandatory training scheduled in June.
Candidates must complete 200 meter run - 500 meter swim in the ocean in 10 minutes. Wetsuits are permitted, no swim fins.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.