Please go to the City of Capitola's website at www.cityofcapitola.org for the recruitment notice and employment application.
Under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor and the JG Coordinator, the Capitola Junior Lifeguard Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard assist in supervision and planning of daily activities and operation of the Junior Lifeguard Staff and program.
The Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard duties may include:
• In collaboration with Central Fire Protection District, provide leadership during training for Junior Lifeguard Instructor/Beach Lifeguard Staff
• Assists with program equipment and supplies and communicates any ordering needs for the program.
• Work with instructors to plan, organize and implement activities; coordinating daily use of the beach; developing a weekly calendar; handling issues as they arise; completing all required paperwork.
• Informs JG staff of safety hazards and ocean conditions and is proactive in preventing rescue situations.
• Assist Tower Lifeguards, if necessary, in search and operations.
• Promotes workplace employee safety by adhering to established safety protocols and policies.
• Identifies and corrects problems whenever possible and acts through the chain of command if unable to remedy.
• Assumes supervision of the program in the JG Coordinator’s absence.
The JG Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard will work closely with the Central Fire Protection District, Recreation Department administration, Santa Cruz Marine Safety Division, and all allied public safety agencies. The JG Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard must interact in a professional and courteous manner with the public and other emergency service employees.
• USLA Open Water Lifeguard Certificate or written verification from last USLA employer.
• 18 years of age
• Must provide a copy of valid CPR Certification (Pro or healthcare provider).
• Physical ability and stamina to perform the duties of an open water lifeguard
• The ability to meet and maintain a 500m ocean swim time of under 10 minutes
• Vision 20-30 corrected.
• Training or experience in working with children
• Criminal history and fingerprint check.
• Applicants must have at least one season as an instructor in a Junior Lifeguard program.
• Successful completion of required lifeguard training program after initial hiring process is completed. Successful completion and maintenance of required medical training certificates.
• Meet or exceed the minimum requirements for a USLA open water lifeguard.
• Proof of negative tuberculosis test or clear chest X-ray must be presented within 14 days of hire - No exceptions.
• Ability to effectively supervise the activities of the Junior Lifeguard Instructor/Beach Lifeguard Staff.
• Ability to effectively coach subordinate personnel.
• Willingness to maintain discipline, confront problems and take appropriate action with staff or participants.
• Ability to pursue an effective and prudent course of action in emergency situation.
• Willingness to work weekends and varying irregular shifts.
• Swim in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
• Interact in a professional and courteous manner with the public, JG Parents and other emergency service employees.
• Work experience of 1,000 hours at a lifeguard agency which meets the standards of the USLA
• EMT certification
• First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) Certification.
• A safe driving record as determined by the City’s Personnel Department
• Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor or other aquatics training
• Experience in supervising staff and providing feedback
The JG Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard is a Part-Time/Seasonal position from March-September, not to exceed 960 hours in a calendar year. Candidates for JG Assistant Coordinator/Lifeguard must be available for full-time employment (40 hours per week) from June through August.
Applicants are required to submit a City application in addition to resume and any relevant documents. Applicants with corrective lens restrictions must provide a physician’s note, dated within 30 days, to verify current vision. Those candidates who most closely meet the requirements of the position will be invited for a swim test and oral interview. Successful candidates must attend mandatory training scheduled in June.
Candidates must complete 200 meter run - 500 meter swim in the ocean in 10 minutes. Wetsuits are permitted, no swim fins.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.