Please go to the City of Capitola's website at www.cityofcapitola.org for the recruitment notice and employment application.
Under supervision, of Junior Lifeguard Coordinator/Lead City Lifeguard, Beach Lifeguard/Junior Lifeguard Instructors will implement and supervise Junior Lifeguard program, events and competitions, including sports, fitness, and swimming activities. The Lifeguard/Instructor is responsible for the safety and conduct of the group of children, ages 6- 17, in his or her care on the beach and in the water. He or she should be comfortable working individually or as part of a team.
• 18 years of age
• Ability to obtain CPR Certification (Pro or healthcare provider).
• Physical ability and stamina to perform the duties of an open water lifeguard.
• The ability to meet and maintain a 500-meter ocean swim time of under 10 minutes.
• Vision 20-30 corrected.
• Criminal history and fingerprint check.
• Successful completion of Lifeguard training program after initial hiring process is completed. Successful completion and maintenance of required medical training certificates.
• Meet the minimum requirements for a USLA open water lifeguard.
• Proof of negative tuberculosis test or clear chest X-ray must be presented within 14 days of hire - No exceptions.
• Swim in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
• Adopt effective course of action in an emergency situation.
• Maintain constant observation of an assigned area for hazardous conditions and take appropriate action to protect the public from those hazards.
• Interact in a professional and courteous manner with the public and other emergency service employees.
• Possession of a USLA Open Water Lifeguard Training Certificate or written verification from last USLA employer.
• First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) Certification.
• Advanced First Aid, First Responder or EMT
• Participation in a Junior Lifeguard program
• Training or experience in working with children and with special needs
• Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor or other aquatics training
• Experience working as a lifeguard, particularly on the beach
• A safe driving record as determined by the City’s Personnel Department
The Beach Lifeguard/Junior Lifeguard Instructor is a Part-Time/Seasonal position from June to August, not to exceed 960 hours in a calendar year. Candidates for the Beach Lifeguard/Junior Lifeguard Instructor must be available for full-time employment (40 hours per week) for the summer months (June through August).
Applicants are required to submit a City application in addition to resume and any relevant documents. Applicants with corrective lens restrictions must provide a physician’s note, dated within 30 days, to verify current vision. Those candidates who most closely meet the requirements of the position will be invited for a swim test and oral interview. Successful candidates must attend mandatory training scheduled in June.
Candidates must complete 200 meter run - 500 meter swim in the ocean in 10 minutes. Wetsuits are permitted, no swim fins.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.