Salary: See Position Description
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=176723
Are you an expert in administering health benefits? Do you have experience with workers' compensation and leaves? Do you enjoy helping others? If you have said yes to these questions, please consider applying to be our next Benefits Analyst. This position is due to begin late March to early April 2020.
The Human Resources department is seeking a dynamic and energetic, confidential-designated professional to perform a variety of complex and responsible duties in administering and communicating District pre- and post-tax benefit plans, including workers' compensation and leaves, in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements. This position represents the District in dealings with carriers and plan providers to ensure the best interests of the District and employees are being met.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
Examples of Duties
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
• Coordinates and administers the District's pre- and post-tax benefit plans including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans and Flexible Spending Account plans; ensures compliance with legal and regulatory requirements including provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Affordable Care Act (ACA), contractual agreements and labor contract requirements; ensures a high level of customer service to employees, retirees and others on benefits program matters.
• Compiles benefit orientation materials; provides benefit plan materials to new employees, answers questions; processes enrollments of employees and employees becoming benefit eligible or making benefit enrollment changes due to qualifying events, transmits information to carriers and third-party administrators and enters data into the payroll system; conducts benefit meetings as required; processes employee benefit updates; acts as liaison with program administrators and insurance carriers to resolve problems.
• Coordinates and administers benefit plans for eligible retirees, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans; notifies retirees of annual rate changes; receives retiree and self-pay benefits premium payments, enters data in the payroll system and transmits payments to Finance; notifies individuals of overdue or incorrect premium payments received.
• Coordinates and conducts the annual open enrollment process; prepares and distributes benefit enrollment information to employees; explains available benefit options and any plan changes to employees; determines annual benefit eligibility for adjunct employees; coordinates with vendors to ensure eligible retirees, employees and dependents are accurately enrolled; updates deductions for any rate changes and enters benefit information and deductions for all employees in the payroll system; updates the Human Resources Benefits website.
• Ensures District compliance with provisions of HIPAA, COBRA, ACA and required IRS reporting; adds new employees to the mandated ACA tracking system, responding to alerts, correcting errors and updating certification information; stays abreast of all state and federal regulatory requirements and makes recommendations for change as appropriate; develops recommendations and prepares responses to IRS penalty letters regarding potential errors; assists with completion and generation of 1095-C tax forms to employees; oversees and performs COBRA plan administration responsibilities.
• Administers the District's workers' compensation program; serves as first point of contact in the event of work-related injuries; provides required claim forms and refers injured workers to designated providers for evaluation and treatment; authorizes initial treatment; acts as liaison between the District and program administrators, medical providers and employees; monitors and tracks workers' compensation leave usage; interacts with employees and their managers to discuss injuries and assist with the interactive discussion process for ADA/FEHA and workers' compensation accommodation requests; coordinates employee returns to work; coordinates work restrictions and facilitates discussions related to accommodations and modified duties.
• Works closely with Payroll to coordinate, track and administer employee medical leaves; ensures employees understand their rights regarding leaves; completes and submits required disability documentation to the plan carrier to arrange for determination of benefits and processing of disability payments; discusses options with employees unable to return to work as their leave time nears exhaustion.
• Attends meetings of the District Safety Committee; notifies employees of mandatory safety training as required under the District's Illness/Injury Prevention Program and Blood borne Pathogen Program.
C• oordinates and schedules a variety of workshops on health, wellness and retirement planning topics.
• Conducts research and prepares proposals/input regarding benefits for the collective bargaining process.
• Co-chairs and coordinates meetings of the District Benefits Committee; arranges for the District's broker to present information on any benefit plan/cost changes under consideration.
• Ensures a high level of customer service to employees, retirees and others on benefit program matters.
• Develops recommendations to improve department processes and procedures.
• Coordinates ergonomic evaluations of employee work stations with the District's safety consultant; provides summaries of evaluation results to the employee and supervisor; prepares purchase orders for the purchase/installation of recommended/approved work station equipment or other accommodations.
• Files benefit-related information in employee benefits files and maintains separate confidential medical files.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in human resources, business administration, public administration or a closely related field, and at least four years of progressively responsible experience in employee benefit plan administration, including workers' compensation programs.
• Principles, practices, methods and techniques of benefit program design and administration, including eligibility determination, enrollment, claims processing, benefits reporting and insurance/benefit plan record keeping.
• The provisions of HIPAA, ACA, ADA, FEHA and other federal, state and local laws and regulations governing the administration of pre- and post-tax benefit plans, leaves, accommodation and workers' compensation programs and maintenance of plan/employee records.
• Standard employee benefit plan contract and coverage provisions and requirements and rate and cost determination practices.
• State of California Labor Code and workers' compensation law.
• Business mathematics.
• Research methods and data analysis techniques.
• Trends in benefit plan design, delivery and cost management.
• Principles and practices of sound business communication including proper English usage, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Research methods and analysis techniques.
• Operations, uses and functionalities of the District payroll system, NeoGov and other standard enterprise and human resources systems software and their functionalities for administering employee benefit plans.
• Standard PC business software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
• District human resources policies and labor contract provisions as they apply to the administration of benefit plans and employee leaves.
Skills and Abilities to:
• Participate in the development and administration of a comprehensive program of employee benefits to meet employee and District needs within the District's benefits and financial objectives.
• Organize, coordinate and participate in day-to-day administration of the District's pre- and post-tax benefit plan offerings.
• Understand, interpret, explain and apply provisions of workers' compensation laws and administer the program.
• Organize, set priorities and exercise sound, independent judgment and initiative within areas of assigned responsibility.
• Analyze complex benefits issues and problems, gather relevant data, evaluate alternatives and make appropriate decisions and recommendations.
• Understand, interpret, explain and apply complex insurance and benefit plan laws, regulations, contract provisions, policies and procedures.
• Represent the District effectively in dealings with carriers, vendors and third-party administrators on a variety of benefits issues and employee situations.
• Prepare clear, concise and accurate records, reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Handle sensitive and complex employee situations with compassion, tact and confidentiality.
• Organize and maintain specialized employee benefits and medical files.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
• Operate a computer and use standard business software.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Uphold the District's mission, values and objectives including equity and Guided Pathways.
• Support an inclusive work environment that fosters diversity, respect and engagement.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.