Instructional Assistant I - English/English as a Second Language (ESL)
Salary: See Position Description
Deadline: 3/18/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=179362
The currently advertised part-time, 75% (30 hours per week) Instructional Assistant position will performs a variety of standard to difficult duties, including instructional program support, tutoring and administrative activities in support of the English, English as a Second Language (ESL), or Reading programs.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
Examples of Duties
• Prepares, compiles, collates, maintains, updates and disseminates instructional materials in accordance with instructors' directions
Develops and presents learning materials and instructional exercises to individuals and groups
• Tutors students individually and/or in small groups to reinforce class material taught in the English/ESL or Reading programs while keeping abreast of English/ESL or Reading program changes; may provide bilingual services to limited English speaking students
• Coordinates materials, equipment, facilities and supplies for classes
• Sets up, installs, maintains and services equipment, materials and supplies used in classes, workshops and supplemental tutoring sessions
• Trains students and others in the safe use of specialized equipment, including computer hardware and software, and procedures and processes
• Administers and scores tests and examinations
• Answers students' questions and advises regarding English/ESL or Reading course class assignments; including the full range of English/ESL or Reading courses taught at Cabrillo College
• Assists in completing and processing various forms, certificates and other documents
• Maintains physical environment and condition of the learning center and its equipment
• Schedules student appoinntments, tests, meetings and facilities
• Maintains student records; keeps other detailed records such as budget, financial and attendance records
• Maintains an inventory of and requisitions supplies and equipment
• Maintains the security of supplies and equipment
• Operates standard office equipment and instructional media
• Prepares periodic and special reports
• Attends to a variety of office administrative details such as arranging for the repair of equipment, transmitting information and keeping reference materials up to date
• Assists in the recruitment and selection of student assistants; and provides instruction in safe work procedures
• May conduct workshops, orientations and meetings
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
• Equivalent to completion of two (2) years of college with college level, lower division* coursework in English or Teaching English as a • Second Language (TESL) *(transfer-level, sophomore or above) which will provide the knowledge and skills to support the English and ESL programs AND two (2) years of experience in EITHER educational support work which has included interaction with students in a classroom or tutorial setting OR work in the program area to which assigned.
Please note: additional experience that would provide the required subject matter expertise as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis and/or additional education may be substituted for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
• Subject matter
• Effective instructional techniques
• Principles, theories, practices, methods and equipment of the English/ESL or Reading programs
• Health and safety practices related to the learning center
• Standard office practices and procedures including filing, the operation of office equipment, including computers
• Detailed recordkeeping and budget tracking
• Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation
• Safely operating, maintaining and demonstrating the use of specialized equipment, supplies and materials
• Drafting, formatting and editing essays on computers
• Applying and explaining instructional methods and procedures
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Keeping abreast of English/ESL or Reading program changes
• Reading, understanding and presenting course materials to students, including the correct use of grammar and punctuation
• Coordinating multiple projects and meeting deadlines
• Maintaining accurate records, files and databases
• Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and similar written materials
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
• Understanding and following oral and written instructions
• Operating a computer to enter, edit and retrieve data and generate reports
• Learning new software as required for duties as outlined above
• Effectively operating and maintaining an orderly instructional environment
Starting Salary: *$2,481 to $2,735 per month maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule (Download PDF reader) is step 3. Part-time, 75% assignment (30 hours per week), 9 months per year; Monday through Friday, hours to be arranged, with evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued district funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.