At Encompass Community Services we provide our community with a wide range of services related to family & social well-being, early childhood education, behavioral health, housing and more. Every day through these services we work to make health, education and housing more equitable for all people in Santa Cruz County. For more than 40 years our work has touched generations by helping people have access to education, rebuild relationships, restore their health and regain dignity.
River Street Shelter is a 32-bed emergency shelter for homeless adult men and women located in Santa Cruz, California. Shelter staff work with residents to achieve self-sufficiency goals and connect with community resources for obtaining benefits, physical health services, employment, and housing. Specialized counseling is available for those residents with mental illness to support them in maintaining psychiatric stability and achieving individualized recovery goals. On-site 12-step meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous also support the recovery process for those with substance abuse issues.
We have a 30-hour-per-week opening for a counselor at the River Street Shelter Program. Reporting to the Program Manager, under general supervision, the Counselor will be responsible for providing support to homeless individuals who may also have mental health or substance use issues. The role of the counselor is to assist these individuals in meeting basic needs, clarifying self-sufficiency goals, and providing support in attaining these goals. Special focus will be on connecting the residents with community resources to obtain benefits, physical and mental health services, employment and housing. Counselor will be expected to demonstrate an increased skill level and leadership qualities, and role model positive work habits. The counselor will have the knowledge and ability to make independent decisions. Services will be delivered with dignity and respect for each resident, and a commitment to their right of choice.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Establish a close working relationship with residents in the program.
* Maintain the safety and security of the facility.
* Maintain a safe, clean and sober environment.
* Assist residents in crisis situations.
* May assist in supervising the daily activities of residents, including performing support services that assist residents in everyday living skills. This may include supervision of residents' chores, monitoring mealtime activities, conducting social and recreational activities, etc.
* Complete intake, assessment, and evaluation paperwork with residents.
* Monitor resident’s use of medications and conduct resident urine tests.
* Maintain clinical charts and complete required paperwork in a timely manner as required by the County, State, and component guidelines.
* Participate in the effort to keep the facility clean, well maintained and running smoothly. This may include household duties such as shopping for supplies, laundry and cleaning.
* BA/BS in related Field preferred or HS/GED +3 years’ of related experience.
* Group facilitation experience is highly preferred
* Flexibility to work varied shifts, including evenings and weekends
* Ability to work in an intense environment dealing with varied personalities and cultures
* Ability to role model daily living skills in a positive manner
* Demonstrated ability to organize and complete tasks
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to constructively deal with a high degree of physical and emotional stress
* Ability to maintain a clean, safe, and supportive environment
* Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
* Must have a vehicle, valid CA driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and good driving record to be covered by agency insurance
We are an equal opportunity employer. At Encompass we value the diversity of individuals, ideas, perspectives, insights and values, and what they bring to the workplace. Applications are welcome from all qualified candidates.
Encompass Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. We are committed to excellence through diversity and strive to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all clients and employees.
If you require assistance applying on-line, we have computer terminals available at our 380 Encinal Street Suite 200 office in Santa Cruz, Tel: 831-469-1700, and at our 225 Westridge Drive location in Watsonville, Tel: 831-724-3885. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment.
Please apply at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=47bfbe97-224c-4f13-a495-e943969553a0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=291763&source=CC3&lang=en_US
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.