Office Specialist - Instruction
Salary: See Position Description
Deadline: 7/15/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=183055
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This part-time (60%), 12-months per year, Office Specialist provides complex office support to the Office of Instruction.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
• Performs complex office support work, which requires judgment, the application of specialized skills and a knowledge of activities related to the Office of Instruction
• Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of reports
• Makes arithmetic or statistical calculations
• Provides information to the public, students and college staff that requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules or procedures
• Organizes, maintains, and purges various files
• Maintains records, and identifies and resolves discrepancies, including financial or bookkeeping records
• Operates standard office equipment and various software to produce correspondence and reports such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and website management
• Proofreads and checks materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with departmental policies and regulations
• Reviews reports for accuracy and makes corrections as required
• Greets, screens, and refers visitors and phone calls
• May train others in work procedures or guide the work of temporary staff on a project or relief basis
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of general clerical support or office assistant experience.
Please note: College coursework in Computer Applications/Business Technology or area of assignment may be substituted for one (1) year of the experience outlined above.
• Principles of terminology of the instructional area
• Office administrative practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
• Basic business data processing principles and the use of a computer
• Applicable federal, state, and college laws, rules, and regulations
• Policies and procedures related to the assigned office
• Business mathematics, including percentages and decimals
• Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
• Recordkeeping principles and procedures
• Apply and explain relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
• Perform specialized and complex office support work
• Organize, prioritize, and coordinate work activities
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
• Organize, research, and maintain office files
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Compose routine correspondence from brief instructions
• Make mathematic calculations with speed and accuracy
• Use initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines
• Operate standard office equipment with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data into a computer and produce correspondence, and other written materials using various software
Starting Salary Range: $1,818 to $2,004 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule (Download PDF reader) is step 3. Part-time assignment, 12 months per year. Flexibility in scheduling to allow four days a week from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and once a week from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Position scheduled to begin on August 3, 2020, pending Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.