Santa Cruz, CA
FULL-TIME TEACHING POSITION — Middle School Humanities Teacher 2020-2021
FT/PT: 100% time during the school year, beginning Fall 2020
Status: Exempt, At-Will
Reports To: Assistant Head of School
Gateway School, in beautiful Santa Cruz, CA, is a CAIS accredited, independent K-8 day school of approximately 180 students that serves children with the intellectual curiosity and self-motivation to thrive in an academically challenging environment. Our school is notable for its innovative instruction and programs, close student-teacher relationships, supportive parent community, and small classes.
Gateway School is seeking to hire a full-time Humanities (Language Arts and Cultural Studies) teacher to work in a Middle School classroom. Preferred candidates will have a good sense of humor, a belief that collaboration enriches one’s work, a history of pursuing professional development and an ethic of continuous improvement, and outstanding personal integrity.
We seek, and strive to maintain, a culturally, racially, and ethnically diverse community, and are committed to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We value the skills, knowledge and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school.
The position requires:
● Using the Teaching Tolerance anti-bias framework and social justice standards as a driving framework for curriculum that helps students reckon with humanity and culture at a local, regional, national and global level through the lenses of art, history, literature and media;
● Teaching a range of writing skills and techniques appropriate to student readiness;
● Using fiction, non-fiction, prose, poetry and other genres of literature to help students develop critical thinking and advanced reading skills;
● Utilizing PBL, inquiry-based learning, research, and various Progressive pedagogical strategies;
● Implementation of effective formative assessment techniques, and opportunities for students to share their learning with the community;
● Designing interdisciplinary curriculum that leverages the natural strengths and inclinations of middle school students;
● A deep understanding of the developmental norms of adolescents, and a joy and appreciation for this unique stage of human development;
● Serving as an Advisor within our Developmental Designs program model;
● Instructing students in a range of lifelong skills including mindfulness, study skills and executive functioning;
● Integrating a range of ed tech into on-campus instruction, as well as providing remote instruction if required;
● Teaching as part of a “team of teachers;”
● Field trips and other extracurricular duties, including an overnight field trip in April;
● Regular and ad-hoc communication with families, students, colleagues and administration.
Gateway School offers interested teachers:
● A school community committed to creating a safe and inclusive space by explicitly promoting and addressing issues of social justice and equity;
● Small class sizes that encourage a constructivist/experiential learning environment;
● Students who are ready to learn and have a solid foundation of knowledge and skills;
● A culture that values learning process equally to (or above) assessment product;
● A community of parents that supports the faculty and each other;
● A learning environment that encourages teachers to excel at their craft;
● A faculty that is collegial, collaborative, and congenial;
● An administration that encourages creativity, innovation and professional development.
● Bachelor's degree
● Successful classroom teaching experience in K-12
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with all members of the community, including students, faculty, staff, and parents
● Master’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
● Current teaching credential
● Knowledge and understanding of independent schools
● Knowledge and understanding of child development, neuroscience-based instruction, and effective differentiation
● An understanding of and/or commitment to furthering community conversations about justice and equity
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is dependent upon years of teaching experience. The benefits package may include employee coverage for medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holiday time, paid sick time and 403(b) retirement savings plan.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter, resume, job application (available on the Gateway website) and contact information for at least three references to:
Hannah Wikse, Assistant Head of School
Attn: Middle School Humanities position firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 8/1/20
Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer, and opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
Candidates selected by the search committee will be called for personal interviews.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.