Monterey County Health Department
Salinas, CA 93906
Senior Personnel Analyst
Salary: $6,427.20 - $8,779.33 Monthly
Final Filing Date: 8/11/2020
Job Number: 20/14B32/07CJ
The Monterey County Health Department has a vacancy for a Senior Personnel Analyst. This position presents a unique opportunity for an experienced Human Resources Generalist to provide services and administration for a wide range of programs within its various Bureaus consisting of Administration, Behavioral Health, Emergency Services, Environmental Health, Primary Care Clinics, Public Health, Public Administrator/Conservator/Guardian, and Animal Services. The Health Department has staff of approximately 1,100 employees located at more than 35 sites across Monterey County and an operating budget of approximately $311 million.
Any eligible list resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies as they arise.
Examples of Duties
This position performs the most difficult and complex human resources generalist work in all major functional human resources areas within the department. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
• Advises managers, supervisors, and employees on complex matters on the application of personnel rules, regulations, policies, practices and procedures, grievance processing, discipline, performance management, employee development, guides managers in the preparation of implementation of disciplinary action. Orchestrates, performs & manages confidential complex Human Resources investigations, prepares report of findings, and recommends appropriate action. May oversee investigations conducted by professional Human Resources staff. Prepares departmental responses to DFEH, EEOC, and UPC complaints.
• Plans, directs, and reviews the work of professional and related staff; assist in establishing objectives and maintaining performance standards; identifies need for and develops staff training plans, and conducts or provides for training of staff in procedural and technical aspects of their jobs in order to ensure the provision of consistent, effective, quality service to department, employees, and the public. Acts as technical resource to HR staff.
• Conducts, manages, and orchestrates complete lifecycle of Strategic Talent Management for assigned Bureau including creating, developing & managing completed recruitment process including: recruitment and examination materials, testing materials, flyers, sourcing & outreach, applicant communication activities; eligible list management, complete interview process, hiring & selection for all levels of classifications in the organization. Includes various meetings with Bureau management to discuss strategies for sourcing applicants. Including exit interview process.
• Manage and approve department employment transactions into the HRIS system including: managing and approving/coordinating data entry : leave of absence and timesheet management approval; data collection on a variety of topics including HR demographics; positions control; performance completion metrics; and other targeted performance measurements.
• Classification and Compensation activities such as request to classify documentation; assist with coordination of class studies; analysis of salary schedules & total compensation, etc.
• Independently analyzes complex personnel related matters and develops and implements solutions.
• Performs other activities such as leave of absence management, benefits administration, and other HR project management on a variety of topics.
For a complete job description with required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, please see the class description at the following link:
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
The knowledges, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education, or training, typically:
Two (2) years of progressively responsible working level personnel work, which has included experience in the areas of recruitment and classification, comparable to the classification of Associate Personnel analyst with Monterey County.
Completion of all course work leading to a bachelor’s degree in Personnel Administration, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Relations, or a closely related field.
Required Condition of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required to:
• Possess a valid California Class C Driver’s License, or the employee must be able to provide suitable transportation, which is approved by the appointing authority.
• Work is performed primarily in an office environment, but incumbents may be required to travel to various County facilities to recruit, test, train, audit, or consult with others within, and external to, the organization.
Monterey County offers an excellent benefits package. To view the “Unit X – Safety and Non-Safety Management” Benefit Summary Sheet, at the link below. This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States; a list of acceptable documents is available on the USCIS Form I-9. If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed above.
Application and Selection Procedures
Our website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty/jobs/2812525/senior-personnel-analyst?page=5&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Applications may also be obtained from and submitted to:
Monterey County Human Resources Department
Attn: Cynthia Juarez, Personnel Analyst
168 W. Alisal Street, 3rd Floor
Salinas, CA 93901
Phone: (831) 755-5228
To assess applicants’ possession of required qualifications, the examination process may include an oral examination, pre-examination exercises, performance examination, and/or written examination. The competitive examination process includes submittal of required application materials. A complete application package will include:
• A completed County of Monterey employment application
• Responses to the supplemental questions
Applicants who fail to provide all required materials by the application filing deadline will not be considered. Resumes, cover letters, letters of interest, and other correspondence will not be accepted as a substitute for required application materials. All required application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants that are determined to be the most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the examination process.
An Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.