General Manager of Farming Operations
Ocean Mist Farms
10855 Ocean Mist Parkway
The General Manager of Farming Operations is responsible for the day-to-day management of the internal Salinas / Castroville farming operations, encompassing 4,500 physical acres.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management for farming operations of all commodities.
- Foster and encourage a success oriented and accountable work environment for all field staff.
- Work with VP of Production and accounting team to develop crop budgets and manage crop input costs.
- Provides timely and accurate reporting of operational issues regarding equipment and personnel.
- Work with VP of Production to oversee the acquisition, repair and maintenance of all equipment necessary to accomplish seasonal farming operations.
- Work with Ranch Manager to ensure farming operations meet or exceed quality standards for all commodities grown at the highest yield and lowest cost.
- In a leadership role, collaborates with Ranch Manager and accounting team to develop and implement plans for operational efficiency gains.
- Work with vendors to ensure that the farming practices utilized and inputs used are on the cutting edge of technology.
- Work with Ranch Manager to maintain accurate records of timing, inputs, irrigations, pest control and cultural operations to ensure optimum growth and quality of crops.
- Plan into the future, in conjunction with the VP of Production for rotation, timing and the best utilization of ranches & blocks for scheduling purposes.
- Be an advocate of the Ocean Mist label and professionally represent the company with customers and business partners as required.
- Knowledge of all farming equipment utilized in the operation and can adjust or accurately reset, as necessary.
- Coordinate and be responsible for all compliance with Food Safety, chemical use and requirements, environmental affairs, as well as governmental and administrative issues.
- Oversee the management of the farm shop.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture science, operations, business management, or related field is preferred. Continuing education in management, supervision, safety, or other job-related areas.
- An experienced leader with a minimum of 7 – 10 years of progressive agricultural operations including time as an individual contributor and manager.
- Experience in and knowledge of fresh produce is highly desired, along with a proven track record of managing the farming operations for several commodities.
- Ability to successfully motivate and lead cross-functional teams throughout the organization and develop working relationships with individuals and functional departments within Ocean Mist and its affiliates.
- Fluent in conversational and written English-Spanish is highly desired.
- Experience in hiring, training, developing, and mentoring direct reports is essential.
- Proficient software skills and knowledge of cost accounting software is required, including working knowledge of Microsoft office, Excel, Word, and Famous.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and must be insurable and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent physical condition, particularly for extensive presence in fields.
- Personal attributes must include:
- High integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to work long hours as necessary including weekends.
- Flexible and able to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong communicator one-on-one and in group settings.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work in both an indoor and outdoor environment which includes inclement weather in degrees from less than 33 °F and up to 90 °F plus.
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs, push and pull horizontally, bend, lift and lower, crouch, repetitively squat and stoop, reach and walk, and other physical activities associated with an outdoor, cooler, and field environment.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds without undue physical exertion.
- Requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all job-related duties.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.