Office Manager / Administrative Supervisor
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 36039
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is seeking an Office Manager responsible for the departmental administrative activities and supervision of the CAPS Office Assistants. This position is eligible for full benefits including medical, dental and vision, 14 paid holidays per year, and discounts on UCSC recreation facilities. Thank you for your interest in UC Santa Cruz.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is:06-27-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UC Santa Cruz (UCSC) http://healthcenter.ucsc.edu (SSH) is a full-service medical facility offering clinical, educational, and psychological support to UCSC students. SSH is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services. The Primary Care Program includes primary care and same-day care, with the support of on-site radiology, a COLA-accredited high complexity clinical laboratory and a campus pharmacy. https://caps.ucsc.edu (CAPS) supports UCSC students to maintain or improve their general well-being by providing a broad range of counseling, psychiatric services, consultation and outreach services and programs. Other departments include Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP), home of the Condom Co-op; CARE (Campus Advocacy, Resources, and Education) the advocacy and prevention education office that supports survivors of sexual assault, stalking, and dating/domestic violence; and Student Insurance Programs. SSH employs approximately 120 staff including physicians, psychiatrists, case managers, lab scientists, pharmacists, nurses, radiologists, and many other clinical and administrative staff. Student Success and Health welcomes staff with interest and experience in working with students with a wide range of ethnic, cultural, and gender identities.
Under general direction of the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Director, the Office Manager/Administrative Supervisor is responsible for directly supervising the CAPS Front Office staff. The position also participates in overall management functions, unit planning and various program support. The CAPS Administrative Supervisor provides assistance to the Counseling and Psychological Services Director, Senior Associate Director, Assistant Training Director, Psychology staff, Clinical Trainees and Doctoral Interns and the Director of Psychiatry.
Major functional areas of responsibility include:
• Administrative support for Clinical services which include Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Psychiatry Services, the Doctoral and Clinical training programs, and Outreach and Consultation Services.
• Managerial support for CAPS Management which involves managing issues involving facility, space, equipment, productivity, human resources and payroll.
• Supervision and oversight of the office staff responsible for the front desk reception process and support of CAPS services. The CAPS Administrative Supervisor ensures the CAPS office meets the reception and appointment making standards set by the CAPS Management team and Student Health Services.
This position involves interaction with senior staff psychologists and counselors, psychiatrists, psychology trainees, and other mental health care professionals, on and off campus, as well as interactions with other campus offices and university officials, students, clients, and families. The work can involve highly delicate and confidential information requiring the exercise of considerable tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
The Office Manager / Administrative Supervisor requires significant independence and responsibility for the administrative aspects of Counseling and Psychological Services, expertise in managing and prioritizing workflow, extensive administrative skills and experience, and excellent skills and experience in a computerized office environment.
Salary Information: $65,450 / Annually
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007374 (ADMIN SUPV 1)
Travel: Never or Rarely
55% - Administration and Supervision
• Provides immediate supervision to the Counseling and Psychological front office staff; supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental and organizational policies, procedures and defined internal controls.
• Participates in the selection, development and evaluation of staff to ensure the efficient operation of the front office. Initiates and manages recruitments for new front office staff.
• Responsible for orienting and training of new and on-going front office staff; Audits and approves time records for direct reports; Provides coaching and professional development opportunities; Recommends personnel actions; Performs probationary and annual performance appraisals.
• Ensures accountability and stewardship of department resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures; Assists Director and Senior Associate Director with verifying professional staff time records; Processes and tracks time-off requests; In conjunction with CAPS Director and electronic resources, tracks staff productivity.
• Participates as a collaborative member of the CAPS Management Committee which includes the CAPS Director, Senior Associate Director, Assistant Training Director, Director of Psychiatry and the Integrated Behavioral Health Supervisor.
• Contributes to developing, implementing, and documenting all policies and procedures for administrative operation of the Counseling and Psychological Services Central office.
• Participates in evaluation of departmental systems and policies for efficiency and effectiveness and makes recommendations for unit; Participates in collaborative unit system; Works closely with Senior Associate Director to implement directives of CAPS Management.
• Serves as liaison to individuals and other University wide units by interpreting and communicating CAPS management decisions as necessary.
• Maintains working knowledge of campus and University-wide policies and procedures pertaining to the administrative and clinical functions of the unit. Responsible for training and orienting CAPS professional and clerical staff on said policy and procedures and ensuring compliance.
• Advises CAPS Management of potential problems involving students, staff, and campus/college matters and makes recommendations for problem resolution.
• Processes continuing education (CE) requests and reimbursements. Tracks staff usage of CE days and amount reimbursed.
• Responsible for coordinating all UCSC safety requirements for CAPS.
• Other duties, as assigned.
45% - Unit Planning, Coordination and Program Support
• Coordinates and manages all administrative affairs for CAPS Management administrative and clinical activities, including coordination and scheduling of meetings, professional development, appointments, and staff retreats; Coordinates administrative affairs for CAPS Psychologists, Case Managers, Clinical Trainees and Doctoral Interns. Orients and integrates all new staff (professional and clerical) on unit policies and procedures including mailboxes, keys, IDs, computer access, etc.
• Coordinates information flow to and from CAPS unit; Interacts on behalf of CAPS Management's redirecting individuals as appropriate.
• Works with CAPS management to prepare for various accreditation activities including AAAHC, IACS, and APA including ensuring site meets applicable standards, preparing schedules, organizing materials, and preparing necessary documents.
• Works with Student Health Services (SHS) Medical Records department and the Chancellor's Office to ensure compliance with subpoena requests and to ensure proper scanning procedures are followed.
• Works closely with SHS Business and Human Resources departments to process and assist with travel arrangements (pre-travel forms) and processing reimbursements (post-travel forms); Coordination of interviews of potential CAPS professional staff. Helps arrange travel, hotel, parking, lunch and background checks; Coordinates processing of payment to Peer Educators; Orders office supplies for Central office and off-site offices.
• In conjunction with SHS Business and Human Resources departments, establishes and maintains liaison and communications with UCSC IT department, payroll, and finance.
• Builds staff appointment template in Electronic Health Record; Provides appointment scheduling for students requesting services; Provides backup for front desk staff as needed.
• Other duties, as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
• Extensive administrative skills and experience, including thorough knowledge of office procedures, file and project organization
• Experience supporting multiple administrative staff in a complex, interactive system
• Experience orienting and training staff
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and diplomacy while working effectively with multidisciplinary health care professionals and a wide range of university staff and students
• Interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising, and counseling to effectively motivate others
• Ability to take initiative, identify and make recommendations for improved and/or streamlined processes
• Skills to evaluate issues and identify resolutions
• Strong service orientation with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities; Demonstrated organizational skills and Attention to Detail
• Ability to effectively handle difficult, sensitive, and confidential situations tactfully
• Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals; Sensitivity to ethnic cultural and lifestyle diversity
• Ability to work on several tasks concurrently, with frequent interruptions
• Demonstrated ability to use electronic record-keeping systems and other computer application programs, sufficient to prepare correspondence, reports, schedule appointments and manage appointment templates with speed and accuracy
• Demonstrated experience and skill with PCs, Windows, Word, internet resources and electronic mail
• Experience supervising office personnel
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Will be required to successfully complete a criminal history background check prior to formal offer of employment
• Will be required to fulfill Title IX (sexual harassment) training requirement every two years
• Will be required to complete HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility/training) within 30 days of hire
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.