Dining Catering Sales Manager
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 45629
Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program. Interviewees will be required to provide a copy of their current DMV record.
Benefits to working at UC Santa Cruz include:
• Medical, Dental & Vision Care Insurance Plans
• UC Retirement Plans
• Group Term Life Insurance
• Legal Insurance
• Pet Insurance
• Paid Holidays plus accrued vacation and sick leave
• Meal Allowance
• Gym discount at UCSC recreation facilities
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 11-30-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Colleges, Housing and Educational Services (CHES) is a multi-funded organization within the Business and Administrative Services (BAS) division at the University of California (UC) Santa Cruz. CHES provides leadership in the areas of college student life and residential services, housing services, facilities, employee housing and capital planning, dining services, conference services, early education services, the Bay Tree Bookstore, ID card services, and business and financial analysis for these areas. Through these units, educational and developmental programs and services are offered to all members of the campus community including students, faculty, staff, children and external constituents.
CHES provides on-campus housing and dining services to nearly 9500 undergraduate and graduate students in ten residential colleges and six multi-college affiliated residential communities, which support single students and students with families.
UC Santa Cruz Dining is instrumental in the success of our students as well as providing services to staff, faculty and guests of the campus. Our mission is to be committed to creating a diverse, safe, fun and trusting environment for our guests and team; building an innovative dining program providing high quality service and food while embracing social, nutritional and financial responsibilities.
More information can be found here: https://dining.ucsc.edu/
Under the general supervision of the Unit Manager, the Catering Sales Manager is responsible for the operational management of the Catering and Hospitality Department, and will act as the Person in Charge (PIC) in the absence of the Unit Manager. The Catering Sales Manager is responsible for providing quality event service for student, staff and faculty customers, campus visitors and summer conference guest. The Catering Sales Managers is essential to the planning, merchandising, customer service and successful execution of events under their purview.
Salary Information: $65,000 / annually
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Monday - Friday
• Shift Includes: Day and Evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 005235-FOOD SVC SUPV 2
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% - Food Service Operations:
• The Catering Sales Manager supervises and supports service and/or production personnel in the preparation and delivery of various meals at assigned locations for catered events or other specialized food service.
• Maintains consistently excellent customer service with campus and public Catering clients.
• The Catering Sales Manager will develop existing business and solicit new catering business through outreach and event sales marketing. The Catering Sales Manager solicits new customers through traditional and non-traditional sales techniques.
• The incumbent will meet with suppliers and customers to discuss contract requirements with both on campus and public clients.
• The incumbent will be responsible for booking, selling, planning and coordinating all special events while assuring the highest level of customer service.
• Will train and direct staff in merchandising, event set-up and management, service, safety and sanitation standards. Will actively reinforce these standards and maintain cost effective management of daily operations.
• The incumbent will maintain effective communication with staff as well as customers and other managers as appropriate.
• The Catering Sales Manager will collaborate with the Catering Chef regarding current and future menus as well as provide feedback on customer experience. The Catering Sales Manager will also provide customer perspective into future menu planning.
• Will be responsible to hold weekly team meetings to discuss current and future Catering events.
• The Catering Sales Manager ensures timely production and service controlling labor costs by efficiently scheduling service and/or production personnel and planning workload distribution.
• The Catering Sales Manager shares responsibility for ensuring proper maintenance and safe operation of the facility, food production, service equipment, and service vehicles.
30% - Human Resources Management:
• Assists and supports the Unit Manager in all facets of Human Resources Management. This includes schedule management, revising job descriptions, labor contract adherence and performance.
• The Catering Sales Manager motivates staff to strive for the highest quality food production and service through training, coaching, recognition, and career development.
• Facilitates training programs for employees to include:
• HACCP (Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point)
• Training in safe chemical handling
• Ongoing training in food safety and sanitation
• Educating staff on customer service skills
• Career development and training for staff
• University Principles of Community and Respect
• University Vehicle Safety Use Training
• Ensures that the collective bargaining agreements and University of California policies are followed.
• Motivates staff to strive for the highest quality food production in keeping with current trends throughout the industry.
• Maintains cost effective work schedules for all staff and student employees.
• Maintains appropriate confidentiality of all records and information.
• Recognizes and acknowledges outstanding staff performance.
• Participates or may serve as the Committee Chair on departmental staff recruitments.
20% - Budget and Fiscal Analysis, Cash Management:
• Responsible for achieving the desired fiscal goals by use of effective controls to meet budget requirements for service and production of an operating unit. This includes participating in the development and management of complex budgets and effectively applying cost control procedures for labor, food and supplies. Will provide weekly detailed analysis of physical inventory to maintain accurate budget information and precise accounting of food and non-food items.
• Directs staff in methods of cost control, ensuring security of assets, portion control and efficient staffing for optimal productivity.
• The Catering Sales Manager is responsible for ensuring the proper handling and accounting of all Catering income. This includes proper billing of clients, timely deposit preparation, and observing University cash handling policies.
• Working with the Unit Manager, will be responsible for establishing the prices of menus and services.
10% - Other Duties As Assigned:
• As a Dining manager, the incumbent will work with staff, students and faculty of the University community, and must ensure that all operations support the University's mission, programs and events.
• Interfaces with Colleges Housing & Educational Services (CHES) and Dining Services staff, as well as students, to provide Dining and management support for college and residential programs.
• Participates in weekly management staff meetings, to review and discuss future activities and events.
• Participates on campus wide and departmental committees as needed.
• Will drive campus owned vehicles and/or a personal vehicle to perform various duties including, but not limited to, catered events, training, quality control within locations, cashier deposits, and other driving related duties as assigned. Will manage the Catering fleet.
• Other duties as assigned by the Unit Manager.
• BA/BS in dining services or hospitality related field.
• Strong experience and exhibited ability in management, especially related to Catering and food services in hotel, restaurant, and retail.
• Experience in financial and labor management, sales, employee relations and training, menu development, customer service, food production, handling and storage, quality control, health and safety.
• Demonstrated supervisory, leadership, and personnel management skills to effectively administer and manage through others.
• Skill and temperament to provide an open climate and create opportunities for employee communication and position departmental interaction.
• Skill and knowledge to create performance standards that increase morale, productivity and attendance.
• Ability to recruit, interview, hire, manage, lead, motivate and supervise effectively a diverse workforce including setting and meeting performance goals, conducting performance appraisals and providing training for residential dining service staff.
• Strong and demonstrated service, event planning, and management skills in a Catering environment, Retail and/or Table Dining.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to maintain good working relations with a diverse group of people. Ability to resolve issues related to students, staff, faculty, and dining services, and exercise diplomacy in stressful situations.
• Strong demonstrated ability to exercise good judgement in making informed management decisions.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Skill to work independently and ability to be inventive and creative, including but not limited to initiating new programs, conceptualizing, organizing, and directing projects, unit growth, development and change.
• Skill and knowledge to collaborate with colleagues to design and implement innovative customer service programs.
• Experience and effectiveness in providing customer service and working with the public.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English; to write accurate and grammatically correct reports, unit goals, evaluations, and communicate with staff, customers, vendors and other departments.
• Ability to apply mathematical and accounting skills to interpret and analyze financial data and inventory.
• Demonstrated computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs and general knowledge of on-line processes to administer and manage food service computer systems.
• Bilingual Spanish/English or willingness to learn.
• Previous or present involvement in the National Association of Colleges & University Food Services (NACUFS) or other food service/hospitality related professional affiliation.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program. Interviewees will be required to provide a copy of their current DMV record.
• All employees must be able to pass the ServSafe certification within 90 days of employment, or already be in possession of a ServSafe certification upon hire. This certification must be maintained throughout employment in this position.
• The ability to move materials weighing up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
• Ability to work a variable schedule including evening and weekends.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.