Department Office Assistant
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 53252
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-15-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Originally founded in 1997, the Baskin School of Engineering is the first professional school at UC Santa Cruz. Over the past 20 years, Baskin Engineering has become a unique 21st century school of engineering and technology, characterized by evolutionary growth fueled by on-going research opportunities that open new areas of intellectual inquiry. Baskin Engineering has grown to include six academic departments, a variety of research centers and institutes, and has ambitious plans for further programmatic growth. The focus of Baskin Engineering educational programming is to instill strong basic knowledge for sound practice in science and ethical engineering for the well-being of society. Its diverse curricula facilitates creative thinking and prepares students for productive and rewarding careers. Baskin Engineering is focused on building collaborative connections and expanding instruction and research
activities for faculty and students at UC Santa Cruz, both at its Santa Cruz campus and at its campus in Silicon Valley, the international center of technological innovation.
We champion new ideas and uphold the https://www.ucsc.edu/about/principles-community.html.
Under the supervision of one of the Senior Department Managers, the Department Office Assistant is responsible for day to day logistical and administrative support of program projects and tasks. Successful performance of these tasks requires full knowledge of university policies and Baskin Engineering departmental policies and goals. The incumbent will interact and need to build relationships with Baskin Engineering staff and faculty at the main Santa Cruz campus and Silicon Valley Campus. This position works independently and collaboratively with staff and instructors to ensure the campus' programs run efficiently.
Budgeted Salary: $26.12 - $29.26/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: CX Union
Job Code Classification: 004722 (BLANK AST 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
60% - GENERAL ADMINISTRATION
• Provide general administrative support for the Baskin Engineering Departments.
• Responsible for day-to-day logistical and administrative support of Department Manager projects and tasks, including answering phones, emails and in-person inquiries as well as preparing routine correspondence.
• Respond to inquiries from faculty, staff, students and the public regarding organization operations, policies, and procedures. Refer complex questions/inquiries to the appropriate Department Manager and/or Senior Department Manager.
• Communicate issues that are of a sensitive nature, internally and externally requiring discretion and diplomacy.
• Maintain compliance with all training and professional development requirements.
• Maintain familiarity with policies and regulations, as well as with objectives of the Baskin School of Engineering and Department Managers.
• Under the direction of the Senior Department Manager assists in the orientation of new faculty and staff to general UC Santa Cruz policies and procedures.
• Assist in purchasing equipment and supplies for the Department Managers.
• Develop procedures and policies for managing and tracking equipment and supplies for the Departments.
• Manage scheduling of meetings/meeting rooms, logistics for visiting speakers.
• Under the direction of the Senior Department Manager, assist with marketing outreach materials as needed.
40% - EVENT SUPPORT
• Under the direction of the Senior Department Manager, organize and attend special events, meetings and projects, and handle the administrative arrangements for special programs and courses, conferences, meetings, job fairs and symposia as requested. This includes arranging for space, catering, event registration, speaker travel arrangements, staffing registration tables at events, and audio/visual.
• Provide support for annual Department Faculty Retreats, annual External Reviews and Department Faculty Recruitments including remote and in-person campus visits. Prepare equipment, technical support, and work order requests; coordinate with the operations and ITS teams to ensure room setup, classroom and event supplies, and that technical support requirements are met.
• Work closely and in collaboration with the Baskin Engineering Events Coordinators.
• Prepare Purchase Order and reimbursement paperwork and supplies reimbursement paperwork for faculty and staff.
• Occasional evening and weekend work related to attending and traveling to events may be required.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and /or training in education or higher education.
• Interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and flexibility to work effectively with students, staff, faculty, and the general department, with the ability to maintain composure in complex and stressful situations.
• Ability to plan and organize small to large special events.
• Excellent writing and communication skills including excellent knowledge of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation.
• Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Customer service skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Problem-solving skills with the ability to research and assess issues, and formulate relevant solutions.
• Computer skills with demonstrated experience using programs included in Google-Suite and Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrated political acumen with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships in a diverse and inclusive environment.
• Multi-tasking and time management skills.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
• Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
• Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
• Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
• Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.